Smithfield Hog Production 2019 Cook-Off
2019 Pork Tenderloin Cook-Off Guidelines
Tuesday, February 26 from 10:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. at the Duplin Event Center Office Kenansville, NC
Tuesday, February 26 at 1:00 p.m.
Calling all pork lovers….. This contest is for you! Smithfield Hog Production invites you to create a tasty dish featuring Smithfield Foods Pork Tenderloin. Your creation can be any type of recipe: appetizer, main dish, salad, bread and or dessert. Select a category: Savory or Sweet and bring your prepared dish.
1. Entrants must bring their prepared dish and typed recipe to the Duplin Event Center by 11:30am on Tuesday, February 26th.
2. Limit of one entry per category
3. The recipe must contain at least six ounces of cooked Smithfield Foods Pork Tenderloin. The recipe must make four or more servings. Please include source of inspiration on the recipe.
40%- taste and flavor
25%- creativity and originality
25%- texture and consistency
10%- appearance and presentation
1st – Oil Rubbed Bronze Fire Bowl
2nd – Woolrich 100% Wool Blanket
3rd – Ozark Trail 12-can Premium Cooler
2019 WHOLE HOG Cook-Off Guidelines
Tuesday, February 25 8:00 a.m. at the Duplin Event Center Office Kenansville, NC
Tuesday, February 26 at 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
1. All Cooking Teams consist of one Team Captain and no more than three assistants. Smithfield will provide the whole hog. Each team will provide their cooking device, and all equipment necessary for cooking, worktable, chairs, tent or canopy. All seasoning and cooking of meat is done within the confines of the team's designated cooking space. All meat must start out raw and uncooked.
2. Please follow all food and health safety guidelines in the handling, storing and cooking of the meat. Your pig will be available to be picked up from the onsite refrigerated trailer.
3. Each contestant will have an On Side Judging which will be looking at the whole hog.
4. For the On Site Judging entries are scored in areas of APPEARANCE, BROWNNESS, SKIN CRISPNESS, MOISTURE, AND MEAT & SAUCE TASTE. The scoring system is from 40 (best) to 2 (worst). A score of 1 is a disqualification and must be approved by the head judge. Scoring based on total points earned, not an average. If there is a tie, the lowest score is dropped to determine a winner. If still tied the highest score in the taste category determines the winner.
5. Site appearance is not a judged criteria; however an orderly cooking site is encouraged. Garnish is not considered in the scoring of the entry.
6. Small containers of sauce are encouraged for On Site Judging for dipping (SHP will provide sauce containers for each team). Remember, this is a BBQ contest not a sauce contest so don't apply your sauce so thick that you can't taste the meat. Too much sauce can affect the overall score.
1st – Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
2nd – Yeti Hopper Flip 18 Cooloer
3rd – Yeti Fully Loaded bucket